This version is a maintenance and security release for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.
The WordPress security team resolved seven security issues, and this release also contains some additional security hardening.
The security fixes included:
- Blocking server-side request forgery attacks, which could potentially enable an attacker to gain access to a site.
- Disallow contributors from improperly publishing posts or reassigning the post’s authorship.
- An update to the SWFUpload external library to fix cross-site scripting vulnerabilities. (Developers: More on SWFUpload here.)
- Prevention of a denial of service attack, affecting sites using password-protected posts.
- An update to an external TinyMCE library to fix a cross-site scripting vulnerability.
- Multiple fixes for cross-site scripting.
- Avoid disclosing a full file path when a upload fails.