The Magento team has recently learned of a serious vulnerability in the Zend platform on which Magento is built. This note provides information on how customers can access and install a patch that addresses this issue.
The vulnerability potentially allows an attacker to read any file on the web server where the Zend XMLRPC functionality is enabled. This might include password files, configuration files, and possibly even databases if they are stored on the same machine as the Magento web server.
The Magento team recommends that all Magento implementations install the latest patch appropriate for your platform:
- Magento Enterprise Edition and Professional Edition merchants:
- You may access the Zend Security Upgrade patch from Patches & Support for your product in the Downloads section of your Magento account. Account log-in is required.
- Magento Community Edition merchants:
- Community Edition 184.108.40.206 through 220.127.116.11
- Community Edition 18.104.22.168
- Community Edition 22.214.171.124 through 126.96.36.199
If the patch cannot be applied immediately, the following instructions can be followed to temporarily disable the RPC functionality that contains the vulnerability. Please be advised, any integrations that rely on the XMLRPC API functionality will no longer work after this workaround is implemented.
- On the Magento web server, navigate to the www-root where Magento app files are stored.
- In the wwwroot, navigate to /app/code/core/Mage/Api/controllers.
- Open XmlrpcController.php for editing.
- Comment out or delete the body of the method: public indexAction()
- Save the changes.
Users with existing IDS capability may monitor the RPC interface to watch for attacks. As always, we recommend maintaining an up-to-date installation of the Magento platform as the best way stay secure.
The latest releases of Magento (Community Edition 1.7.02 and Enterprise Edition 1.12.02) incorporate the appropriate patches. please use correct versions of releases 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 .